STATE OF PALESTINE
MINISTRY OF PUBLIC WORKS AND HOUSING
CENTRAL TENDERING DEPARTMNET (CTD)
FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE
PALESTINIAN WATER AUTHORITY
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION)
Country: State of Palestine
Name of Project: Hebron Regional Wastewater Management Project- Phase I
Project ID No.: P117449
Assignment Title: Addendum to the Environmental, Social, and Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment for the Hebron Regional Wastewater Management Project
Reference No.: PWA/WB /2018/001 - CTD
The Palestine Liberation Organization, for the benefit of the Palestinian Authority (PA), has received financing from the World Bank-International Development Association (IDA), the French Development Agency (AFD), and the European Union (EU) towards the cost of [Hebron Regional Wastewater Management Project - Phase I (“the Project”)]. It is intended that part of the proceeds of this grant will be applied to eligible payments under the contract for preparing addendum to the Environmental, Social, and Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment (ESCHIA) for construction and operation of Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) with a design capacity of 15,000 CM per day in the first phase. This capacity accommodates the wastewater flow of 10,000 CM per day from Hebron Municipality, as well as pre-treated industrial wastewater and additional wastewater loads from connected communities within a 10-12 year planning horizon. The design will also accommodate the option to add tertiary treatment to further upgrade the effluent quality. The treated effluent will meet the standards for secondary treatment, which allows for disposal to the wadi and for effluent reuse in restricted forms in agriculture irrigation on currently un-irrigated lands adjacent to and downstream from the WWTP. Sludge from the WWTP will be treated and dewatered to a degree that will allow for landfilling. The HR WWTP will include: (i) intake and pre-treatment (grit and screening removal); (ii) biological treatment with nutrient removal; (iii) filtration and disinfection; (iv) sludge thickening; (v) sludge stabilization for reducing vector attraction and odors; and (vi) dewatering systems for obtaining a dry sludge that can be hauled away. The HR WWTP is planned to be constructed at a site of eleven hectares (ha), owned by the PA, 4 km downstream from Hebron city. The contract for the HR WWTP includes the design, supply, installation and operation for five years prior to hand-over.
The Project, which is implemented by the Palestinian Water Authority (PWA), aims to reduce the environmental pollution from wastewater produced in Hebron Municipality. The proposed consulting services (“the Services”) include:
- The Consultant will update the assessment and mitigation plans in the ESCHIA taking on-board the latest aspects of the design of the WWTP as detailed in the bidding document for Design, Supply, and Install contract (access to the bidding documents will be granted to the selected consultant who is invited to submit a proposal). The Consultant will address specific aspects related to baseline conditions, environmental and social impacts and mitigation measures.
- Carry out all necessary consultations, at least two rounds of consultation sessions per the World Bank Operational Policy OP 4.01. The consultation plan should be inclusive to all stakeholders and project affected parties (PAPs) per the applicable Palestinian Laws and World Bank Policies.
The assignment is expected to commence in March 2018, and the implementation period is Three (3) months. The assignment involves intensive data collection and analysis, and the Consultant should factor international and national team members will spend at least 90% of the respective duration of their assignment in the West Bank as specified in the ToR that can be downloaded from PWA website www.pwa.ps.
The Central Tendering Department (CTD) now invites eligible consulting firms (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The shortlisting criteria are:
- General experience in the field of preparing the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment studies for a minimum of 10 years
- Specific experience in the field of the assignment. The firm should have successfully completed at least two similar assignments for projects of similar nature, size and complexity in the last 5 years.
- Availability of appropriate skills among staff and/or the ability to mobilize a diversified team of experts with appropriate knowledge and skills
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, dated January 2011 (revised July 2014) (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Consultants may associate with other firms in the form of a joint venture or a sub consultancy to enhance their qualifications.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Selection based on Consultant’s Qualifications (CQS) Method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address (1) below during office hours 08:30 to 14:30.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address (2) below (in person, or by mail, or by e-mail) not later than 12:00 am on 17 of January 2018.
The addresses are:
Address 1: For Information
Palestinian Water Authority
Kamal Nassir Street, Al Masayef, Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Attention: Eng. Sadi Ali
Projects Management Unit
Tel: +972 2 2987665
Fax: +972 2 2987336
Mobile: + 970 599412818
Web site: www.pwa.ps
Address 2: For Submission
Ministry of Public Works and Housing
Central Tendering Department
2nd floor, Apartment # 9
Um Al Sharayet, Al Ameen Square
Al Bireh, West Bank, Palestine
Attn: Eng. Saeed Abu Zaid
Acting Director General
Tel: + 970 2 296 6006/7
Fax: + 970 2 298 8582
Mobile: + +970 599521561